Friday, May 24, 2013

Paul McCartney shots


The biting wind is a stark contrast to the inviting warmth of the hotel.  I wish this wasn't my last day here.  I can look from my room out to the park and lighpost in the yard, which is heartwarming and reminds me of my view at home.  The "Bistro" has been delicious, the "Tea Room" an elegant place to sit for coffee in the afternoons, and the "Burgundy Bar" was our getaway for mischief last night. 

I decided to introduce the group to Kamikaze shots...no bueno!  After a couple rounds we decided to move on to "Chocolate Cake" shots.  They hadn't heard of these before and with every new recipe they liked me more :)  Needless to say I caused quite a rucus in the bar.  By the time we finished they were referring to the shots as "Paul McCartney" shots instead of "Kamikaze" shots.  After leaving the hotel bar we ventured over to a pub across the street, and the bar tender was confused when we started ordering.  I thought it was hilarious.

All the meetings have been great to attend, and I'm getting a good foundation for the projects I'll be working on while here.  I love that they break for tea, scones, cream and jam in the afternoons.  So civilized!
 
 
Everyone here seems to have melody in their voices.  It's not just the accent, it's as though they lightly sing their words.  The rhythmic speech is very pleasant and calming to listent to.  They are also very polite, and I find myself phrasing things differently, as the often brisk way we speak back home sounds harsh.  If my emails start to sound strange, that's why.

We had Indian food for dinner tonight, and while it was good, it wasn't as good as home.  The ice cream has been fabulous, however.  Within the course of the day I've seen rain, hail, and sunshine.  You really do have to carry and umbrella with you at all times if you don't want to look like a wet dog that just wandered in from the street.

Tonight I'll take a sleeping pill as I'm in total exhaustion mode.  The Kamikaze shots have nothing to do with that.  Tomorrow I'm off to Dublin, and then the real fun begins!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment