Thursday, May 30, 2013

57% tax on gas???




 

57% of “Petrol” prices here are tax, 37% is the actual petrol, and 6% is “other”
 

You fill, then pay, as opposed to pay, the fill like we do in the states

So the gentleman at the station was probably very confused this morning when I said "€50 on #3 please"

Still, he took the money, smiled at me, and said in a happy, hearty voice “Thank you, you’re just fine!" 
He was in a white dress shirt with a tie, + happy to see me…it was like I was in an upscale hotel instead of a Texaco.
I pumped the gas and was really confused when the pump went to €50.06
Was I supposed to go in and give them the .06?  Why didn’t it stop at €50?

I decided to be on my way, and I’d find €0.06 and bring it the following fill-up.

All the little things you learn here, makes the day to day very exciting!

Once you get the hang of the backwards orientation, driving isn't so bad.  There are some interesting things about it here though, like the fact that there are far fewer stop signs/lights and many more "Yield" signs than there are in the US.  There are also speed cameras.  No Bueno!  These cameras track you as you go down the roads to determine if you're speeding.  If you go between two cameras too fast, you'll get a ticket in the mail, done deal.  Nice.  Needless to say I'll be changing my driving habits while I'm here. :)

The roads are small, as I mentioned earlier, but they are also lined with beautiful green trees and vegetation, some of which actually grows out into the roads, and when an oncoming car zooms by you have no choice but to take out a leaf or two.  Still, it's absolutely beautiful.  When there isn't greenery blocking your view, you can see out into rolling green fields, some with horses grazing in them.  SUCH a beautiful place!  Seriously though, the road conditions themselves are atrocious...imagine the worst sections of our 880 Freeway, that's what most of these roads are like.  Oh well, rental car...WITH full insurance!  One of the first things I did notice here, btw, is that the cars are ALL a mess.  Even the nice cars have scratches along their sides and tons of door dings.  That is probably because spaces in parking lots are not much bigger than the cars themselves...anywhere.  I wouldn't last a day here without losing my mind if i were driving the Challenger.  I do miss her, but there's no way I'd want her in these kind of conditions.  I guess people around here just don't stress about that kind of thing.  I know, i know, I should be taking notes.

Frustrated that I've put on a "few" cuddle pounds in the past few weeks, i decided to go to a grocery store today and stock up on fruits and vegetables.  It was awesome!  I found this great store in the middle of Malahide, and while it was the size of a CVS or Longs back home, it had a great selection of fresh fruits and veggies, all at pretty reasonable prices.  I only have a mini fridge back at the hotel, so i tried to get things that could sit out.  I picked up salads and assorted veggies, tomatoes, bell peppers, grapes, apples, pears, some all natural sliced turkey breast, whole grain wheat bread, water and yogurt.  My super healthy basket and I checkout out under 30 euros...not too shabby!  I've committed to eating 95% healthy until i come back to the states, so this was a great kickoff.  Plus, i was actually craving healthy foods.  Interesting bits about the grocery store there- they took AMEX, but the cashiers had no idea how.  A couple of them got together and eventually figured it out.  You bag your own groceries, and bags are not provided, which is something I'll now remember for next time.  The cashiers also sit at their check stands and kind of throw the food through with minimal effort...it's pretty funny.

Another great day, learning the local intricacies, soaking up the sunshine while it lasts, and enjoying the little adventures and learning experiences every day seems to bring.  I'm still to excited to be homesick, though of course I miss everyone.  I can't wait to get out of the hotel and in to the apartment in a couple weeks.  Then I'll really be able to settle in and do my thing!  I wonder what I'll bake first when i get into the real kitchen... cookies?...brownies?....

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!

    PS. Bag that 95% healthy crap and throw it out the window. You can get fruit at home! - When in Ireland...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When in Ireland... Eat, drink and learn toasts for every occasion.

    ReplyDelete